How much are double glazing prices 2021?
As you may have already guessed, there is quite a wide variation amongst the cost of double gazed windows from different companies. However, the market is still very competitive, with a set of 4 UPVC casement windows prices starting from around £1,500 to £2,000.
This means that if you take the time to compare double glazed windows prices in the market, you can easily find a great deal.
How Much do Double Glazed Windows Cost?
So, if you are thinking about how much it will cost for new or replacement windows, looking for good installers to do the work and need a bit of help to decide on which design suits your home best, then our double glazing prices guide for 2021 is the answer. You need to take into account quite a few things, as different scenarios will result in different prices.
- If all the windows you want to replace are on the ground floor, it is likely to cost less than if they are on an upper floor where the installer may need to put up some scaffolding.
- Sash windows will cost more than casement windows.
- Hardwood or aluminium windows will cost more than uPVC Windows.
- “A++rated” double glazed units cost more than “B rated” units.
- Coloured Aluminium or UPVC windows are costlier than white versions.
- Argon gas filled sealed units are costlier than standard “air filled” sealed units.
So, the best way to get an accurate double glazed windows cost is to have your property measured-up by a professional and have a written quotation based on that survey. Get as many different quotations as you like, we suggest at least 4, and then compare them to see which represents the best deal – then ask for a better deal!
We look at the types and designs of double glazed windows in more detail later in the article. But to get you started, the following table will give you an idea of what prices you can expect for the average cost of double glazed windows.
The wide margin in price band is simply down to the points we referred to above, that personalisation can make a difference to the cost.
How much are average double glazing prices
Here are some examples of Complete property casement window prices
|Number of windows||uPVC||Aluminium||Hardwood|
|Flat: up to 4||£1,500 – £2,000||£2,300 – £2500||£2,000 – £2,500|
|Terraced: up to 8||£3,500 – £4,000||£4,000 -£4,500||£4,000 -£5,000|
|Semi-detach: up to 10||£4,000 – £4,500||£5,500 – £6,500||£5,500 – £6,000|
|Detached: up to 12||£4,500 – £6,000||£6,500 – £8,000||£6,000 – £7,000|
Double glazing prices per window
The cost of buying a single small uPVC double glazed window can be as low as £150 or around £300 to £400 for an average sized unit, but that price per window will drop if you are ordering multiple units at the same time.
To be more specific, a C-rated 1200mm x 1200mm white uPVC casement window can cost as little as £154 for just the unit itself. The majority of the rest of the cost is going to be for the labour involved in fitting the window.
Timber Window Prices Vs UPVC Window Prices Vs Aluminium Window Prices
Timber window prices come in 3 basic types with 1 hybrid.
- Engineered wood
- Aluminium Clad (engineered wood)
Aluminium windows prices are on a par with hardwood, both being, on average, more expensive than UPVC double glazed windows. Softwood windows, although they are usually the cheapest to buy, can involve you in extra expenses in maintenance during the life of the frames. Softwoods are well known for suffering from rot and paint peeling, not to mention shrinking and expanding in hot or wet weather.
What is the cost of the different double glazing windows designs?
Here we will look at 5 popular types of window designs & styles.
- Casement windows: Average prices fitted £300 to £400. Side hung, top hung or bottom hung, the casement window is probably the most common type of window style. READ MORE
- Sash Windows: Average prices fitted £500 to £700. Sliding vertically to open or close, the sash window design is often seen in older Victorian or Edwardian style properties. A complex design that is reflected in the price. Modern UPVC sash windows are less costly than timber versions.
- French Windows: Average prices fitted £300 to £400. Basically the French window design (not a French patio door) is 2 side hung casements fitted side by side, in the same outer frame. They open outwards from the centre.
- Tilt & Turn Windows: Average prices fitted £400 to £550. Another version of the casement style, but the opening section will also tilt backwards into the room to allow for ventilation. Usually fitted so that the main window section will open inwards. Another quite complex design, hence the higher cost.
- Bow Windows & Bay Windows: Average prices fitted £400 to £550. Bow and Bay designs are “picture windows” and as such are usually quite large. They are also complex to install. A bow window is one that has a series of units fitted in such a way that the whole window curves outwards from the house. A bay is one that is a 3-sided unit that also projects forward from the house.